Sunday, December 7, 2008

Twilight the Movie.. and else



So, I was finally able to watch Twilight today, at Studio 21 Plaza Ambarrukmo, at the 11:00 show. This movie had gotten its premiere in Yogyakarta on December 3, 2008. Sure, by the time I found out it had been shown on the cinema here, I directly wanted to watch the movie, yet, I had still gotten block exams until December 5, and I didn't want my "craziness" over Twilight ruined my exams (by watching a movie instead of studying). Initially, I wanted to watch it with a friend of mine, Nadia, who has been sort of "intoxicated" by me to become a Twilight fan, but she went back home to Bekasi right after we finished our last exam; she'd come back to Jogja tomorrow though, on Idul Adha. She told me, it would be okay if I watched the movie first, without her. I first answered that I would still watch the movie with her -it was our plan all along- but she then asked what if we watched the movie with her boyfriend, would that be okay? Nahh, after she asked me so, I thought it might've been better if I didn't watch it with her. Fortunately, well, I was able to find another companion to watch the movie. Niiiiice! So I went to the Plaza and watched the first Twilight show on the cinema (there were 2 studios that showed Twilight).

Since I've read plentiful of reviews on the internet before Twilight The Movie premiered here, I had had sort of "preparation" on what I might perceive about the movie. And the reviews were really mixed; I totally wondered on which side I would put myself into. Well, here's my opinion, as a LOVER of Twilight Sagas (finished reading book 1-3, currently reading book 4, have got both Indonesian & English version of book 1-3 and English version of book 4) about the movie.

So far, I think Twilight The Movie was REALLY GOOD, due to the fact, so far (for me), I guess the story was the closest movie-adaptation-from-a-book I could find. Almost all of the "major" plots were put into the movie. Except, well, I guess they really missed the story when Bella passed out on Biology class because there was a practical session about blood types... I guess that chapter was quite a "major"one. I can't ask for more... Yes, the novel is STILL better than the movie, it isn't easy you know, putting a first-observer-point-of-view-novel into an almost 2 hours movie. But the movie was good, beyond my expectation, fulfilling what I've been looking for, on visualizing my fav (love) story.

Now about the characters. I think Kristen Stewart had potrayed Isabella Swan perfectly. She's quite a Bella in my mind. :D So do Billy Burke (Charlie Swan), Ashley Greene (Alice Cullen), Kellan Lutz (Emmet Cullen), Peter Facinelli (Carlisle Cullen), Taylor Lautner (Jacob Black), Anna Kendrick (Jessica Stanley), Michael Welch (Mike Newton), Elizabeth Reaser (Esme Cullen), and Justin Chon (Eric Yorkie); they quite fitted for their roles in my mind. I also totally ADORED the Cullens' house! Hahahaa... In fact, the Cullens' house in the movie was WAAAAAAAAAY much better than the one in my thought. :P

I enjoyed its soundtracks also. I think they had put nice soundtracks to the movie also.

Those are what I enjoyed most about the movie. Now, I'm gonna write about what I didn't like about the movie.

1. ANY novels in the Twilight sagas (including, of course, TWILIGHT ITSELF/the first novel) are supposed to be ROMANTIC! Somehow, I found myself laughing too many times when I watched the movie. The movie was just too... "funny", in a weird-yet-pleasing way.

2. Edward Cullen is supposed to be COOLER, MORE... oh my, MESMERIZING, etc., NOT whiney. He was just... less irresistible in the movie. And I really didn't like (though I laughed) Edward in the biology class scene... He was supposed to RESTRAIN himself from killing Bella (since his eyes were black, it meant that he was thirsty), not looked NAUSEATED!!! Peace. ^^v Well, however, I think Robert Pattinson was charismatic indeed.

3. Rosalie Hale (Nikki Reed) and Victoria (Rachelle Lefevre)... I think their casts should've been switched. Miss Lefevre was stunning... and Rosalie is supposed to be stunningly beautiful. While Victoria is supposed to be... homicidal... beauty to kills... and Miss Reed seemed to be able to "feel" and play such an antagonistic role beyond average.

4. The special effects. Somehow, the special effects looked UNclass! The effects were, somehow, "cheap". The fighting scenes were also... somewhat "weird". And I totally DISLIKE how the flashbacks were shown... weeeeeiiiiirrd!

5. Bella's Lullaby!!! How come they RUINED such a supposedly-beautiful-and-sweet love song, that was made by YOU for YOUR LOVER into... sort of a "weird" song? I feel sad. I hope Robert Pattinson, or Edward Cullen, could've played a lovelier Bella's Lullaby... I heard Rob actually had made his own version of the song, yet, they didn't put the song as a soundtrack of the movie. :(

OVERALL:
From 1 to 10 scale (1: totally hate it, 10: totally love it), I guess I'll give Twilight a 7,5. ;) It's a scale made by a HUGE FAN of the TWILIGHT SAGAS NOVELS though.

LOTS of my friends, who haven't read the novels, said they really LOVED the movie, so I guess, for non-book readers, the scale might be higher. :P

It's the best movie-adaptation I've seen so far (read: satisfied the book lovers).. and many of the casts were suitable for their roles. Yet, the movie was sort of... funny... less romantic than the books.And they could've given much better special effects, I suppose.

Oh, and Carlisle Cullen/Peter Facinelli & Mike Newton/Michael Welch were REALLY HANDSOME!!! Ah, how I love them! Team Cullen & Newton! Hahaha.

~You are exactly my brand of heroin.~


Terakhir, selamat hari raya Idul Adha, teman-teman. :D

7 comments:

Fu! said...

wahhh belum liat twilight. pengeeeeeen.

adrianhasdi said...

Hah, bagus ya..
hoho, di gunung gada bioskop sih, hahaha..

Nisa A said...

@Fu:
Yawda, nonton ajaaa... (kalo ga sibuk). :D

@adrianhasdi:
Um, kak Adrian ya? ^^v Hahaa, bagus sih relatif, kak. Kalo untukku sih, the movie was okay, and better than my expectation (plus: aku SUKA BANGET sama novel-novel di Twilight sagas). :)

Kalo liat di IMDB gtu emg mixed review, tapi abis ku nanya temen2 yang udah nonton Twilight (but haven't read the novels yet), mreka pada bilang they loved the movie so much! Hehehe. :P

adrianhasdi said...

hehe..
temans saya yang bisa dipercaya soal film bilangnya filmnya lumayan..
cuma gantung aja..

iyakah??

thats why i like festival or non mainstream movies, we watch it while no one else watch it before us,,
no prejudice taken :)

Nisa A said...

@adrianhasdi:

oh endingnya Twilight?
emang rada gantung sih kak, ehhehe.

movie festival tampaknya emang ok, walo aku blum prnah nonton satu festival pun (duh). xD

tp ada film yg prnah diputer di Jiffest tahun kapan tau yg ku suka jg, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". ;)

Fu! said...

nisaaa aku uda liat.
sebagai pembaca bukunya ada beberapa hal mengganjal di hati:
1. i think the cullen's house itu terlalu modern ya ga sih? bayanganku tadinya sih rumahnya agak2 klasik antik mewah gitu deh. hehe
2. carlisle somehow ga keliatan se-berwibawa di buku.. ya kah?
3. bella.. is kinda too pretty :) tapi emmet, alice, esme, jasper pas banget yaaaa
4. samaaaa! adegan flashbacknya mengganggu baaaaaanget.

hehhee tapi i still love it.. heheh

Nisa A said...

@Fu:
1. Klo the Cullens' House, in my... "imagination", mnurutku versi filmnya malah model lebih bagus dari apa yg ada di imajinasiku. :D

2. Iya, Carlisle kesannya ga trlalu brwibawa (but he was really handsome!!! haha).

3 & 4. I second you, Farrah! :P